Thursday, January 24, 2008

Roller coaster down

The Biology text arrived yesterday. All my optimism about homeschooling slipped away when I took a look at the Biology textbook. Oh my… There is so much TEXT. And Jacob is such a slow reader. And the tests – they are fill in the blank!! Jacob is used to multiple-choice tests, and filling in answers is so much harder. I can hear his moans and groans now. I'd be moaning, too. In fact, I’m panicking.

Even with the Solutions and Tests that comes along with the textbook, I am overwhelmed. How much reading do I assign per day? I can't even figure out the exercises, so how will he? Oh, my head hurts from just looking at that book… What on earth have I gotten us into?

Jacob is home alone today without company. I have to be in the office. My husband, who is a native of Ukraine, left suddenly for his home country yesterday because his mother, who’s been bedridden for two years, is dying. He’ll be gone three weeks. Alexandra, who is in ninth grade, has two mid-term exams, so she's in school all day. Larissa, who is in middle school, has a regular school day.

Jacob is done with all his mid-term exams. He’s completed his first semester and will be homeschooled for the rest of the year – the rest of high school, God willing. To keep Jacob busy and get his feet wet with this homeschooling, I gave him a list of assignments to complete today:

□ Practice piano exercises – 10 min.
□ Practice piano pieces – 20 min.
□ Read ch. 1 of Lords of the Earth. Write down all words you don't know. Look up their definitions. Write down how long it took you to read the chapter (p. 18 – 43).
□ Spanish – go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/ and take the Spanish test (under Gauge your level) to check your level. Look around the website.
□ Do CBS (Community Bible Study) questions
□ Read 5 pages in Ukrainian
□ Work out with weights
□ Fix your mobile and hang it up

OK, fixing his butterfly mobile is a chore, not homeschool assignment, but I have to keep him busy – and get that mobile off the dresser in his room.

No comments:

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
— Albert Pike, Scottish Rite Freemason (1809-1891)