Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Re: Estate of Your Brother Greg


I received the following letter today:

Dear Faith:

We have been advised by Surrogate’s Court that they are rejecting your Petition to serve as Administratrix of your brother’s Estate.

Due to the fact that the sole distributee of the Estate is Greg’s son Luke, the only person who can administer Greg’s Estate is the property guardian being appointed for Luke. We are contacting the attorney who is in the process of having a property guardian appointed for Lucas for a further discussion relative to this matter and will advise once we hear from him.

In the meantime, please total all of your out of pocket expenses relative to the Estate so that we can request reimbursement.

Should you have any questions, please call me.

Very truly yours,

LAWYER & LAWYER, P.C.

Stunned, I called the paralegal at Lawyer & Lawyer.

“We’ve never had this happen before,” she informed me.

I’m shocked, even a little insulted. But in the long run, this might just be for the best. No more calls from the mortgage company, from collection agencies, no more more calling medical facilities that are owed over $34,000, no more drives to check up on the house, no more haggling over extending payment deadlines for gas and electric. No more hassles. If the water pipes burst or the basement floods, it's not my problem. I didn’t stand to inherit anything, nothing at all. Greg’s debts will be far from paid off even after all his estate is dispersed. I just wanted to do what was honorable, what seemed right, but if the courts disagree, so be it.

So that this sort of thing doesn’t happen to our estate or our family, George and I made an appointment for next week to draw up our will.

1 comment:

gina said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
— Albert Pike, Scottish Rite Freemason (1809-1891)