Friday, April 25, 2008

I can see clearly now

“Put on your glasses and look out this window,” Alexandra urged her younger sister while they were at the optometrist. “Look at the grass! I can see every blade of grass!”

“Wow….” said Larissa. “I think I’m going to get a headache seeing that much detail.”



To me, seeing every blade of grass, every eyeglass frame in the adjoining room is normal. To my daughters, it’s a novel experience. I got a peek into their world by listening to their conversation.

“I thought it was normal that distant objects were blurry.”

I hadn’t realized that their eyesight had gotten bad. They had passed the vision test during their physicals in October. Only recently had each of them told me on different occasions, “I can’t read that sign” or “In school, I can’t see the board.” (They are both still in public school this year while I homeschool their oldest brother.) I made them an appointment at the eye doctor immediately. They both got new glasses a few days later – Tuesday of this week.

So why do I feel like such a bad mom to not have caught their poor vision sooner?

No comments:

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
— Albert Pike, Scottish Rite Freemason (1809-1891)